A Building Permit shall be obtained from the Municipality by the owner or his agent for the erection or construction and reconstruction, placement or removal and location or relocation, addition or extension, alteration or conversion, renovations or repairs, excavation and underpinning, installation or renewal to any building or structure prior to the commencement of any works. A Building Permit ensures the building complies with The Building Code
A building permit is not required for the following:
- Non-structural renovations, alterations or repairs where construction costs do not exceed $10,000
- Replacement of stucco, siding or shingles (with the same material)
- Replacement of doors and windows when the size of opening is not altered
- Construction of fences (as long as they are constructed inside property line and conform to Zoning Bylaws height restrictions)
- Patching, painting and decorating
- Installation of cabinets and shelves
- Installation and replacement of sidewalks
- Construction of accessory building and sheds less than 108 square feet provided that it does not create a hazard to neighbouring properties and meets the setbacks set out in the Zoning Bylaw
- Replacing of flooring
- Changing interior wall covering (i.e. drywall, paneling, etc.)
- Replacing eaves troughs and down spouts
- Taking down and reinstalling poly shelters in spring and fall
- Moving and/or removing internal walls as long as it is not a bearing wall
All major constructions, such as new dwellings, additions and new foundations for dwellings will require a Security Deposit when applying for a building permit.
For building permit application, fees, or yard setbacks please contact our Municipal Planner at the RM of De Salaberry.
All buildings proposed to be moved into the Municipality will be required to be inspected by the Building Inspector prior to its relocation. Inspection fees are set to reflect the actual costs to do the inspection.
If your project is nearing completion and requires inspection, the Building Inspection Schedule outlines when our inspectors are available to provide an inspection. Please note that a 24-hour notice must be given to the building inspector prior to needing an inspection.