The Economic Development Council for Manitoba Bilingual Municipalities (CDEM) has been the driving force behind economic development in Manitoba's bilingual communities since 1996. Their mission is to stimulate, encourage, support and coordinate economic development in the communities that are members of the Association of Manitoba Bilingual Municipalities (AMBM).
They thrive on the value-added of bilingualism in our communities' economies.
Their activities in the area of economic development have two main bearings:
- They coordinate the implementation of major economic development projects, in close cooperation with the bilingual municipalities and their community development corporations. These projects are often the product of Visions, i.e. medium to long-term plans established with the CDEM's cooperation, which all bilingual municipalities can access.
- They offer many services to new businesses, businesses that are established, expanding or who are thinking about exporting.
- They offer services in French to established businesses and to new entrepreneurs.
- They offer French business development programs, some of which are custom made, to entrepreneurs.
- Their investment funds give small businesses access to risk capital.
- They coordinate the implementation of major economic development projects.
- They are involved in tourism, rural development / small business support, green economy and the involvement of young people in economic development.